This is one of Granma’s better recipes and it is really quite yummy!! It does only keep for about 2 days though, however it doesn’t last too long in my house, so that’s not a problem. The scanned picture of the page looks like Granma may have used this recipe numerous times herself.
- 2 cups Self Raising Flour
- 3/4 Cup of Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 tblsp Butter
- 1/2 pound of Walnuts I use a 125 gm packet of “Lucky” Crumbed Walnuts and it is plenty
- Sift the flour and rub in the butter, add sugar and salt also
- Eggs well beaten then milk, add the nuts chopped small
- Mix thoroughly
- Divide mixture into two tins, well greased and let stand for 20 minutes
- Bake 3/4 hour, decreasing heat gradually
I think Grandma was a little light on the method. I actually put all the dry ingredients together and then added the wet ingredients. I put the mixture into a greased loaf tin and cooked at 170 degrees for 3/4 hour exactly.
Thanks Granma – this recipe is a treasure